Book-Talk: Turgay Birand, Serial Entrepreneur, Founder of EditionGuard
Turgay Birand is a serial entrepreneur and has been for his entire professional life – he never had a full-time job (although he did have multiple bosses at one point, while working as a contractor).
In 2012, Turgay founded EditionGuard, a web based service that provides a secure and cost-effective way to sell eBooks online. He started this platform due to popular demand received from eBook publishers and authors, wanting to solve the problems of secure delivery, content integrity and costly web integrations.
It’s currently used by publishers, university presses, governments and enterprises in over 40 countries, and helped deliver close to a million books since it was launched.
Turgay is also working on a side project called Zask, that was recently released in public beta. Zask is an app that combines the concepts of task management and time tracking (for all you productivity geeks out there!).
Find out from our interview more about his favorite books, how they changed the way he looks at entrepreneurship, his reading habits and how he chooses what to read next.
Was ist dein Lieblingsbuch und warum? Geschäftlich und nicht geschäftlich, wenn möglich.
The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss is my favorite book for both business and non-business, because it triggered a very important idea about life; we have a finite amount of time in life and we should be very selective about what we spend it on. We shouldn’t be working all the time and in fact, we should deliberately be working with the aim to claim more time for ourselves to spend on whatever we wish!
Gab es einen bestimmten Moment, in dem Ihnen etwas, das Sie in einem Buch gelesen haben, geholfen hat? Kannst du mir davon erzählen?
I can’t really remember any such moments unfortunately.
Welche Bücher haben Sie am meisten beeindruckt? (vielleicht hat sich Ihre Sicht der Dinge verändert, Ihr Karriereweg dramatisch verändert)
The Fastlane Millionaire by MJ Demarco. It completely changed the way I look at entrepreneurship and the criteria for a successful business.
Welche Bücher würden Sie jungen Leuten empfehlen, die sich für Ihren beruflichen Weg interessieren? Wieso den? (keine Anzahl Begrenzung hier)
* The Fastlane Millionaire by MJ Demarco for a great framework to evaluate business ideas and
* The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris to focus on the bigger picture, our lives and our time
* Built to Sell is great for entrepreneurs to start thinking about how to have a business that can run without them from the get go, which should be the aim!
* Start Small, Stay Small by Rob Walling is good for getting some actionable tactics towards building and selling software products
Ich bin daran interessiert, mehr über Ihre Lesegewohnheiten zu erfahren. Wie oft liest du? In welchem Format?
I usually try to read for at least 15 minutes before bed. I like to use the Kindle mostly as it’s lightweight and has many options ready to go anytime. I usually read a lot more during the day for research on my iPad and MacBook. When going from place to place I also enjoy audiobooks that are lighter on content.
Wie nehmen Sie sich Zeit zum Lesen?
Allocate and block time for reading on your calendar and daily task list. I automate and delegate lots of my work wherever and whenever possible to claim time too!
Wie wählen Sie aus, welche Bücher Sie als nächstes lesen?
Life usually directs me towards a challenge and the answer is almost always found delving into books. I always look at Amazon reviews too before buying them.
Letzte Frage: Welches Buch lesen Sie gerade und was versprechen Sie sich davon?
I’m reading “The Sales Acceleration Formula” which is a great book for building a sales force for software entrepreneurs.
Links where you can follow Turgay Birand or find out more about his projects:
- Follow Turgay @ Twitter
- Follow Turgay @ Medium
- Turgay’s interview @ IndieHackers
- Turgay’s interview @ BusinessColletive
Books mentioned by Turgay in this interview:
- Die 4-Stunden-Arbeitswoche: Entfliehen Sie 9-5, leben Sie überall und schließen Sie sich den neuen Reichen an von Tim Ferriss
- The Millionaire Fastlane: Crack the Code to Wealth and Live Rich for a Lifetime by MJ DeMarco
- Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You by John Warrillow
- Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer’s Guide to Launching a Startup by Rob Walling
- The Sales Acceleration Formula: Using Data, Technology, and Inbound Selling to go from $0 to $100 Million by Mark Roberge