Everyone Hates Marketers – how Louis Grenier built a podcast out of love for true marketing
“Never meet your super heroes“, goes one of the common sayings. I beg to disagree. You should get over your fears and jump at the first opportunity to meet them – you never know where it will take you and what wonderful things you’ll get to learn from them.
Louis Grenier is one of my heroes: he’s made it his life mission to fight against shady, manipulative, bullsh*tty marketing techniques. Kinda like what we’re trying to do here, at The CEO Library, with all the business books that are bloated, media-hyped, or lack any actionable advice.
Louis is the host of Everyone Hates Marketers, one of the best podcasts on marketing, where he interviewed DHH (co-founder of Basecamp), Seth Godin, Rand Fishkin, and other awesome people (who are just as sick of bad marketing).
He’s also the Content Lead at Hotjar, a research tool that helps you understand how visitors experience your website, where he co-hosts ‘The Humans Strike Back‘ – a show about succeeding in business and life by putting people first.
In this episode you’ll hear us talk (in lovely French and Romanian accents) about:
- how and why Louis completely switched domains – from engineering to marketing;
- how he started his consulting business and got the first clients;
- how to earn people’s trust and become an authority (or how not to);
- why sometimes it takes a failed business to find purpose;
- all the ways he’s been fighting bad marketing – including how Everyone Hates Marketers was born, and what he does at Hotjar.
Links & resources:
- Everyone Hates Marketers
- The Humans Strike Back
- All books mentioned by Louis in our talk
- Connect with Louis on Twitter or LinkedIn
Many thanks to Andra Zaharia for introducing me to Louis and his podcast. I don’t usually listen to podcasts and, instead, prefer to go after guests. Louis is one of the exceptions that made the cut – I try to listen to all his podcast episodes (I admit I’m slightly behind, trying to keep up 😛 ). If you listened to the first episodes of The CEO Library podcast, you probably remember that I mentioned him.
P.S. If you’re an early entrepreneur, stop wasting your time trying to figure out the right books for your needs & context. Subscribe to our newsletter and you’ll get right away a monthly reading plan with the books that can guide you on your chosen journey.