Heart of Darkness
We hope you love the books people recommend! Just so you know, The CEO Library may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
This book has 1 recommendation
Barack Obama (Former USA President)
In November 2014, Obama took a trip to D.C. independent bookstore Politics and Prose to honor small businesses and add to his personal library. Accompanied by daughters Malia and Sasha, POTUS picked up novels from the Redwall fantasy series by Brian Jacques, as well as some from the Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Park. He also added these titles to his heavy bags:
- Brown Girl Dreaming, Jacqueline Woodson
- Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
- Nora Webster, Colm Toibin
- The Laughing Monsters, Denis Johnson
- Age of Ambition: Chasing Fortune, Truth and Faith in the New China, Evan Osnos
- Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End, Dr. Atul Gawande
- Cartwheeling in Thunderstorms, Katherine Rundell
- The Narrow Road to the Deep North, Richard Flanagan
- Redwall series, Brian Jacques
- Junie B. Jones series, Barbara Park
- Nuts To You, Lynn Rae Perkins
The reaches opened before us and closed behind, as if the forest had stepped leisurely across the water to bar the way for our return. We penetrated deeper and deeper into the heart of darkness.
As the peak of European Imperialism, steamboat captain Charles Marlow travels deep into the African Congo on his way to relieve the elusive Mr Kurtz, an ivory trader renowned for his fearsome reputation. On his journey into the unknown Marlow takes a terrifying trip into his own subconscious, overwhelmed by his menacing, perilous and horrifying surroundings. The landscape and the people he meets force him to reflect on human nature and society, and in turn Conrad writes revealingly about hypocrisy, morality and the dangers of imperialism.
Get this book on Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository | iBooks